It's going to be so hard to say good-bye to certain things here in America, so I wanted to go ahead and do it right now.
Target, I love you so much. You are amazing and I never tire of walking aisle upon aisle of your reasonably priced goods. I know I will have access to the NEX and the Commissary; and Chris will be very happy that I take advantage of them like I never did in Florida. (I mean what did he expect, for me to drive ALL the way over the Gandy bridge to go on base to get stuff when there was a perfectly good grocery store 5 blocks from our house?! I don't think so!!) But nothing will ever replace you, Target, with your food and toiletries and clothing and toys and music and movies and magazines and sporting goods and housewares... You will always be in my heart!
Ketchup, Catsup, however you like to spell it, is a delicious condiment that seems distinctly American. (I don't know the history of catsup, maybe it was invented in Europe. I'm sure we can all agree though, it was perfected in America!) And no matter how they try, Europeans just can't seem to get it right. There's something different about European ketchup. It's just not THE SAME!! *tear*
Netflix, you have been there for me when I was bored, through sleepless nights, and when Chris wanted to watch something stupid on TV. You were on my iPhone, on the iPad and of course, on the Macbook. What am I going to do when I don't have 60,000 movies and television shows at my fingertips? I know, I know I can always use one of those janky websites where you can watch anything that ever existed in the world, but it's not the same. They aren't reliable like you. Maybe one day you'll get it together and become available in Italy. I can only hope.
We all do it sometimes, eavesdrop on some unknowing stranger's conversation. But is it something you've ever really thought about, or have you, like me, been taking it for granted? Sometimes it's just a snippet of gossip that has zero meaning in your life but makes you laugh to yourself anyway. Maybe it's a lover's spat that makes you think, "Thank God Chris isn't that crazy"! Sometimes it's actually a kind word between friends. Isn't it nice though, automatically understanding the words without even trying?! Well, I'm saying goodbye to that luxury, for a bit at least! I'll make sure to let you know the first time I actually unwittingly understand a stranger's conversation in Italian!!
People who obey traffic laws, I have something I have to admit to you *deep breath* I've never appreciated you! In fact, I sometimes yell at you from my car. I mean, I'm in a hurry and you were following the letter of the law too closely! You were making me late, dang it!! But now, as I go to a place where lanes and signs and rules are merely suggestions, I want you to know, you will be missed. I should've appreciated you when I had the chance!
Electricity, it might as well be magic for all I understand about it. You plug things in and they work. Period. A storm comes, you light candles and try in vain to think of something to do that doesn't require electricity. You rejoice when the power comes back and all your wonderful things work again. Now I will have to think before I plug. I am saying good-bye to not having to understand how electricity works! 220, 110, converter, adapter, what does it all mean?!?!?! I wonder how many flat irons I will fry before I catch on? *sigh*
Colorado, the most wonderful of all the United States. I will miss your crisp dry air, your freezing cold nights, your purple mountains majesty, your delightfully mild summers (except this past summer when you went crazy and got into the 100s, what were you thinking?!), your lovely miles and miles of trails and parks, your super fun Capital City where we got to make so many great memories this summer! Italy is going to be wonderful and beautiful, I know, but Colorado will always be my true land-love.
And, of course, my marvelous friends and family... I'm not going to say I'll miss you because we hope to see oh-so many of you in Italy, in the not too distant future. So, no tears, no real good-bye just, we'll see ya real soon! Ciao Ciao!!
No comments:
Post a Comment